Friday, March 16, 2007

Denying people the right to their own experiences

I see faces in this picture.

No, you don't.

Huh?

I repeat, you do not see faces in that picture.

Well, I understand that you may not see faces, but

No! I mean, you! You. Do. Not. See. Faces.

Oh. Well, um, I'm kind of taken aback by that. I'm pretty sure my own personal experience seems real and legitimate to me. And I'm not saying that you have to experience it exactly the same way, too. I'm just trying to share a description of something I see.

So what? I don't care. I see vase. So you see vase.

Ummmm ... well, that doesn't work for me.

Doesn't matter. I don't care. It's a vase.




 

3 comments:

The Usual Stuff said...

Most of the times we assume that our truth is THE truth. Being able to understand other points of view is a gift not all people have been blessed with.

GreenSmile said...

the only truth we need to agree on is that it is no more the case that you live in my world than it is that I live in your world. It would make a good mantra with which to precede many of the discussions we enter into.

Kelly said...

I love these